Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tapped Out - Game Review

I've been playing Tapped Out for a year now and I feel like I need to share with you the love hate relationship that I have with this app. I downloaded it in the early days of owning a phone which could hold more than a ringtone so was naive in thinking that I had nothing to lose by accepting a free game. I instantly found that I literally could not stop tapping out but I wasn't quite sure why.

Essentially Tapped Out plays on the human beings desire for money, which you gain more of by playing more frequently. The aim of the game is to create your version of The Simpsons town and add characters to your collection in the process. This is all well and good when you're paying $1200 for the Krusty Burger or the Kwik-E-Mart but I have now reached the stage when buildings cost over $100,000, meaning I have to save up for a number of days before I can add to my town. As apps deviously do, it does offer ways round the longevity through buying (with real money) donuts, which allows you to speed up the process but I have not sunk to quite that level...yet.

In terms of gameplay, it is what is says on the tin. You tap and you wait... You tap and you wait. Tapped Out is extremely simplistic and is almost difficul

t to call a game because there is very little to do. Characters can undergo several different tasks, which fit their respective animated personalities. Mr Burns can hide nuclear waste, Snake can con money from old people but no matter what they do, the player is never involved with these activities.

I have struggled to find a positive aspect of this app and another of its major flaws is the maintenance it requires. It takes a long time to load into the game from the home screen and often contains minor glitches after updates, which annoyingly occur every few days. Another frustrating  problem I've found is the timing that the characters perform tasks to earn money. Some characters have tasks that last for 6 hours whereas some do not and I believe this is the agonising reason behind my addiction. The game is so cleverly made that it will drag you back to it whether you like it or not, in order to collect more fake money and drain more of your life away.


I've now spent too long on this game, which serves little purpose other than the right to boast to other Tapped Out players of your superior town. I think I'll soon find myself attending Tapped Out Anonymous as I'm hooked and I can't bring myself to delete it. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment