Thursday 6 February 2014

Breaking Bad

Although Breaking Bad has been and gone, I can’t seem to get over it. When anybody asks me what it is, I usually stand there in disbelief and then use a comparison to the bear hunt song. You can’t go over it; you can’t go under it you’ve got to go through it. Few words can describe how unbelievable it is and the roller coaster that it takes you on; in fact they may have to invent a word to describe it because any that come to mind do not give it enough appreciation.

For those missing out, Walter White is a chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer early on in the series. Naively I thought they couldn’t go anywhere else with a man that is virtually pushing daisies but I was so wrong. Walter White has to prevent his family from being in debt when he passes so turns to Jesse Pinkman  (Aaron Paul), a former student of Whites turned small-time drug dealer. The pairing of the two forms the best meth in Albuquerque and the basis of a chaotic but at times comical, love-hate relationship. At times it becomes as though they can’t escape each other. Meanwhile Walter is putting on his “I’m not a drug dealer” face to his entire family, including Skyler (Anna Gunn), Walter Junior (RJ Mitte) and his Skyler’s sister’s husband, Hank Shrader (Dean Norris) who unfortunately for Walt is a DEA agent. You can imagine the kind of heart pounding scenarios created when those two are in the same room together.

Vince Gilligan being the mastermind behind it all has devised a unique show, which is perfect right down to the little insignificant details. He has brought together great actors and actresses combined with an astonishing plot line to make what I can only describe as the finest series ever made. I don’t think anyone was mentally or physically prepared when they sat down in front of the television to watch Breaking Bad; even if you knew what was going to happen you’d still be in awe of this masterpiece. We can’t give all the credit to Mr Gilligan. Bryan Cranston’s depiction of Walter White is outstanding. Even after destroying his family and killing half of the main characters, he still manages to take our sympathy and compassion in the final episode. I don’t think I will ever look at Hal of Malcolm in the middle in the same way again.

I truly believe that this show has to be watched and really writing this review is worthless unless I’ve persuaded you to do so. You won’t be disappointed I personally guarantee it.


No comments:

Post a Comment